Saturday, May 3, 2008

Less important recent news

In less important news than my new job . . .

Washing Machine fixed


My father, who owns my house, finally got the pipes headed to the washing machine's water drain fixed. They also fixed the vertical drain pipe that goes to the basement run. I'm getting half the clogs in all the drains of my house now. (Lowsy rusted up old drain.)

However, now I no longer have an excuse to have my parents do my wash, and I have piles of laundry to do.


Super Smash Bros. Brawl

How can any video game lover not like a game designed for video game lovers! I mean the whole concept of pitting characters from different games against each other in an unrealistic fighting game is the kind of genius that only someone who actually knows how video game players think would love. This is the game for any Nintendo fan on your list who owns a Wii.

On a related note, some microwave ovens interfere with WiFi.

My Birthday

April 23 was my bithday, I got a microwave from my parents, now I can microwave things without them tasting like Pizza. Woks are suppose to leave flavor in food, Microwaves, aren't. As of a reference to an earlier comment on Super Smash Bros Brawl. This microwave doesn't interfere with my Wii's wifi like my old one did.

My garden.

I'm slowly getting plants planted in my garden, no thanks to the frost conditions that went through late April. So far I have peas planted, next are peppers and tomatoes. Last years potatoes got bug ridden then rotted, so I decided to leave them and use them as fertilizer. I was surprised how effective the method was at converting the starved soil from the chemical-fertilizer loving former owners turned into high-humus soil. However, I still need to monitor the insect level. Root eating pests to insect eating pests are currently at a 2 to 1 ratio, and the biodiversity of insect eating insects
(two varieties) is very low. At least the earthworm level has returned to a healthy level.

Bucket fixing:

When I went out this spring onto my patio I quickly looked down and noticed I left two buckets out. This led to them inevitably having their bottoms warp and invert. I had to get out my propane torch and heat up the bottom until the metal softens enough, and slowly work on it with a sledge or ballpin hammer (depending on your liking, I go for the sledge, mainly because I have one.) It is a pain, particularly when you forget your gloves and burn your hand on the heated bucket. However, an hour later, I had two fixed buckets, no thanks to an annoyingly cool torch that I had bummed off my dad who never used it. I definitely need a better one of those.

Fun visit from my sister-in-law

My wife had the wonderful idea of giving her 7 year old half-sister some hair glitter. Of course, anyone can guess who's hair it went in first, not the sister, not my wife, but mine. It was actually quite nostalgic of when my sister and her friends used to do things like that to me.

Cats are too smart

Me and my wife's cat has learned a new trick. She climbs up on the speaker near the window-ledge we keep her favorite toy on, and paws up towards it. Other tricks she's learned include, if she wants your attention she'll attack your leg when you walk by, lying belly side up on the side of the hallway, walking in front of the TV while you play video games, and jumping on your lap while you do anything, and jumping on your place in bed when you get up. She is, however, very cute, and we can keep her from doing "tricks" when she's not suppose to by simply using a squirt bottle filled with water. Best cat advice I've ever gotten.

No comments: