Monday, June 16, 2008

Finally another update. Linux related this time!

Well I got my computer together and installed Linux.

I did a little tinkering to try and get the graphics card to run 3D, but alas it given me nothing but trouble so I put it in 2D mode now, and will either do so "when I get around to it" or just buy a better card which has good drivers.


I checked the web sites of various drivers, and it turns out they are making rapid progress on stablizing the issues I was experiencing.

Also the open source driver project for the card I plan to get, the RadeonHD 2x00 (R500+), just got near complete spec data when AMD released the info publicly. It also seems that the card's regular driver has fewer bugs. I also noted the workarounds for fixing the bug I had encountered. I could implement it last resort, if the bug wasn't fixed when they claimed it was (they already had the bug reappear once before.)

On a more positive note, I got Wine running FireFox perfectly on Linux. It's the first step. I'm also going to set up Windows on a Virtual machine.

I possibly may run two versions in VM due to repetitive issues with Windows XP 64bit edition and the fact that I hate Vista with a passion. I may end up getting Vista and just modding the setup until it runs like a hybrid of Windows 2003 server and Windows XP.


No comments: